Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Recipes for Breakfast

Today I am posting the recipes that I made for the Cheer initiation breakfast. I hadn't really thought about it until my sister was so kind as to warn me that I might be getting HATE blog comments from the foodies out there. I don't have any pictures of the finished product since I didn't think to take any that morning - I guess I was feeling pretty good to just be up and awake at 6:00 AM! I usually make this for Christmas morning breakfast or on some other "special" occasion. Enjoy!

French Toast Bake

12 slices good bread, cubed (I use Granny’s B’s - it works the best; I also cut off the top crust)
1 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz)
8 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. real maple syrup

Arrange half of the bread cubes in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with cream cheese and remaining bread. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk & syrup; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve with Homemade Syrup.


Homemade Syrup

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. cream (I use heavy cream)

In a small sauce pan mix all ingredients except cream. While stirring constantly boil mixture for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Cool. Syrup will thicken as it cools. Serve slightly warmed.
Will keep in refrigerator for several months. Makes 1 1/3 c. syrup.


Holiday Breakfast Casserole

In a greased 9x13 pan spread two 12 oz packages of cubed hashbrown potatoes. Brush with 1 cube melted butter and sprinkle with Lawrey’s Season Salt. Bake @ 425 for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and add:

1 lb. diced ham
2 c. grated Cheddar Jack cheese (I never measure, just sprinkle on to taste)
1/2 oz. Diced green chilies (I omit)
Combine the following and place on top of the ham/cheese/potato mix:
4 eggs
1 C. Milk
2 tsp. Salt

Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes

3 comments:

Moto X Mama said...

You can actually MAKE syrup! I am so Freakin' Amazed! I thought you could only buy that stuff at the store. Martha, I mean Jana, your amazing!

The Queen Bee said...

Jana you have been tagged by me... See my blog to see what you HAVE to do! JBE

yvs vamsi krishna said...

Thanks for posting the full details,its really a good information
veg manchurian recipe